Thursday, April 29, 2010

Seven Days

In seven days, God created all that we see: people, animals, water, sky, plants, sun, moon, stars, planets... That is hard to wrap my mind around! He did all that by speaking a few words and proclaiming it all "good."

"Good"? That's amazing, God! Indescribable!

In seven days, Garrett goes to the neurologist at Vanderbilt. I can't help but imagine all God can do in that seven days! And yet I have doubt hidden in there too. I am reminded of the father of the boy who was posessed with a spirit in Mark 9 that told Jesus, "If You can do anything, take pity on us and help us!" And Jesus said to him, " 'If You can?' All things are possible to him who believes." Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, "I do believe; help my unbelief."

I'm human; my best case scenario is one where God does a supernatural work and heals Garrett on the spot. But I know that my ways are not His ways, nor are my thoughts His thoughts. What my limited mind sees is far less than what Almighty God already knows.


This appointment will consist of a blood/DNA test to determine which strain and/or mutation we are dealing with and possibly the severity of the disease. It will take from 1 week to 6 months for the labs to break-down the DNA to determine which strain. The more complicated the mutation, the longer it will take to determine what exactly we are dealing with.

I'm asking again that you seek God "in whom we have boldness and confident access through faith in Him (Eph 3:12) on behalf of Garrett.

Obviously, we are praying for a miracle that only God can perform. I would love to be able to proclaim God's mighty power over this disease. However, if God does not choose to heal Garrett in that way, we are praying that it will be the milder form of the disease with no strange mutations. (There are some clinical trials going on that look promising, but that are directed towards the "least complicated" forms of the disease). Also, please pray for renewed strength; physically for Garrett and spiritually for us all. Everyday, I have to ask God for new strength. Its almost like putting on a new "Garment of Strength" each morning, because yesterday's is worn out!

My point of view on life has already changed so much in a month. I've gone from considering which are the best schools and which clothes look the cutest on my kids to really considering their eternity. I love to pray Scripture over my kiddos:

"For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you Garrett and Charlotte, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God." (Eph 3:14-19)

"Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us." (Eph 3:20)

9 comments:

Jamie Carey said...

Amber...I just want to let you know that we are literally bathing Garrett as well as your family in prayer. God can do miraculous things...my family has seen this in the way that he brought out our little 2 pound Aedon without all the problems that he was "supposed" to have. I can't imagine the journey you are facing but I can pray for you and ask others to pray for Garrett as well.

PattyDawn said...

Amber,
I will definitely continue praying for you all over the next several weeks and months!!! I believe that God is going to Blow Your Mind when this is all over!! Buckle your seatbelt and get ready!

Also....
Please know what an encouragement you are to me!!! I am blessed to have been able to grow up with you as well as be able to have a relationship (even if email) with you as adults!! Love you!

Karen Parrish said...

We had no idea you guys were going through this! I can't even imagine what you're going through right now! We will be praying for Garrett (& his parents!) daily!! We will also put him on our church's prayer list.

Erin said...

Praying.

Alli said...

Amber, you have a precious, amazing spirit. God uses you to speak to me all the time, and this post is no exception. I'm praying also.

Amanda Pilkinton said...

We are praying daily for your family too.

Shawn said...

Praying without ceasing.
~H

Robyn said...

Praying for a miracle Amber!

Jessica said...

We are praying.