Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Attention: All You Gardeners Out There

I could never be mistaken for a Green Thumb.

I can't even keep a cactus alive.

Last year, my mom says to me: "Here, grow this. Nobody could kill this vine." And, you know what, I DID kill it, although I think it was more to prove to her that I COULD kill it. You know what I mean?

Anyway, here is my newest project:

My Herb Garden

I picked up this little beauty at the Farmer's Market in Columbia a few weeks ago--and look how its thriving!

I even water it everyday (well, except the days I don't).

I have even used some of the herbs from it to cook with!



Here we have Dill. I used it with some fresh squeezed lemon juice on our grilled tilapia last week (yes, not only do I grow my own herbs, I also eat fish now--its a whole new me)



Here is a bit of a mystery to me. I want to say its cilantro, but part of me thinks it also might be parsley. Any thoughts?



This is Chives (or is it "These are Chives"?) which I'm told you should use in mashed potatoes or baked potatoes, but which I always tell the waiter to hold.



This is Rosemary, which I single-handedly started from a clipping! I placed it in water until it rooted, then planted in here in the Herb Garden Extraordinaire ! (Also good in potatoes and pork loin)



This one, again, not sure of. My latest guess is Savory, which I don't even know what its for. Maybe good on chicken? Its definitely not rosemary, but looks something like it.



This one, I decided today, must be Oregano. Yummy in all kinds of Italian foods. By the way, how 'bout that bokeh?! (That was totally an accident!)




As is this one: Basil. I am in love with the Pollo Rosa Maria from Carrabba's (mushrooms withheld), which has an amazing basil lemon butter sauce on it. I'm gonna make my own sad attempt at that one any day.
This is Red Basil. Apparently it is very mild and shouldn't be used with other stronger herbs, like oregano. One suggestion I found was used in icecream. Huh?

This is the mystery of the day. Any idea what this is? If you can tell me, I promise to cook you a meal using this herb as a feature. I've Googled everything I can think of, and can't find it. It has a mint-y fragrance, but doesn't look like anything I can find from the mint family. The leaves are very tiny and numerous. Talk about bokeh! Aren't you impressed?

Somebody please help me out with these! I want to use them, but feel I should know what they are before I start throwing them all in a pot! Anyone wanting starts? Let me know!

4 comments:

Alli said...

I vote parsley on that first one that you questioned (rather than cilantro), but I could be wrong (I have been--once before--haha!). See the pics I found: http://www.potomacvegetablefarms.com/images/veggies/italian-parsley.jpg and http://cilantrokitchen.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/bunchcilantro.323220320_std.jpg (parsley is first). The cilantro has almost a single shoot with leaves at the end, not bunched all the way up the shoot. The last pic--you have me stumped. But I'm still looking until someone responds with an answer. I'm thinking it's a variation of a common herb--like "Greek"-something or "southern"-something. Since you got this at the Farmers Market, I would think the herb is a cooking one and not a medicinal one.

Alli said...

Oh, and I'm impressed that you planted a shoot of rosemary that you rooted. My thumb isn't all green, but I tend to keep plants. Yet, I murdered a rosemary plant that I bought--not rooted. Can I blame it on bugs or something that were in it from the store? My pride is still wounded...

Mom said...

I am so impressed with the herbs. My rosemary died I tried to root last year. Hopefully you have a little green thumb from you papa Cook.

Shawn said...

Oh I've always wanted an herb garden. I think the one after Rosemary might be Tarragon if not Savory(they look a lot alike). Is the last one Marjoram?

If the first one doesn't taste like cilantro then i bet it's Italian parsley or flat leaf parsley (same thing).

The chives are awesome on cheese fries or any kind of potato dish. They are much milder than scallions or onion.

I'm so impressed, Amber!!
~H