Sunday, August 16, 2009

My latest book review

I'm always on the prowl for a great read, and with my favorite Harry Potter and Twilight books at the top of my booklist, I'm sort of hard to please.

A few months ago, I came across this one:








The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins

Its accolades include:


NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
USA TODAY BESTSELLER
PUBLISHERS WEEKLY'S BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR:
CHILDREN'S FICTION
NEW YORK TIMES NOTABLE CHILDREN'S BOOK OF 2008
AN AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION TOP TEN BEST BOOKS FOR YOUNG ADULTS SELECTION
AN ALA NOTABLE CHILDREN'S BOOK
2009 ALA AMELIA BLOOMER PROJECT LIST
#1 ON WINTER '08/​'09 CHILDREN'S INDIE NEXT LIST
INDIES CHOICE--BEST INDIE YOUNG ADULT BUZZ BOOK HONOR
2008 CYBIL AWARD--FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION
CBC TEEN CHOICE FINALIST
NYPL “STUFF FOR THE TEENAGE” LIST, 2009
CCBC CHOICES 2009
KIRKUS REVIEWS EDITOR’S CHOICE, 2008
A HORN BOOK FANFARE
SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL BEST BOOKS Of 2008
A BOOKLIST EDITORS' CHOICE
LA TIMES FAVORITE CHILDREN'S BOOKS, 2008
BARNES & NOBLE BEST BOOKS OF 2008
FOR TEENS AND KIDS
BORDERS BEST BOOKS OF 2008: TEENS
AMAZON BEST BOOKS OF 2008:
TOP 100 EDITORS' PICK
TOP 10 BOOKS: TEENS


You get the picture...it did pretty well!


And, as I'm a huge fan of series, I was delighted when I found out that it would be a trilogy! (Though not at first...I got to the last page and was begging for more!)


So, September 1, the second book in this award-winning trilogy comes out:


If you've not read the first one, I hope you'll check it out. I'm reading it again before Catching Fire comes out. It is such a fast read, and so much fun (although a little gorey at times!)
Let me know what you think of it!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Cool! I'd love to borrow it when you're done!
I'm almost done with the last book in the Twilight series and will be a little sad when it's done (but happy that I don't feel bound to a book!)

Alli said...

I'm glad you mentioned that--I had read a review a while back, but failed to act on it. Now, I think I will find a copy somewhere and dig in :)