Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Its official...I'm addicted

So, a little while ago, my friend HH shared with me her salsa recipe.



And, as is true to my nature, I had to do some tweaking of my own.



Her recipe called for cilantro....I do NOT like cilantro...you will NOT find it in my house.



Her recipe called for 2 cloves of garlic. Its my opinion that if you cannot taste the garlic in your mouth the next day, you did not add enough.


I seriously make this at least once a month, and that is often, considering the quantity it makes. So here it is:



And you must have one of these--Food Processor. You probably got one as a wedding gift, and never knew what to do with it. This is your answer. You might be able to get it to work in a blender, but its not going to be big enough...so be prepared!
I use a small onion and a generous helping of garlic cloves (5-7, some of these were quite large). Because nothing says, "Kiss me, Baby" like 7 cloves of garlic!I typically the juice of 2 large limes, but they were on the small side today, so I used 3. Also, this is a citrus reamer. I've just tried squeezing the limes before, but this is much easier! In addition to the above ingredients, put in your cans of tomatoes (don't drain them). I also use 2 packets of Equal (you could use sugar), which my Mama always told me takes the "tang" out of the tomatoes. (I also use it when I make chili!) Throw in about 8 or so pickled jalepeno rings and about a teaspoon of Kosher salt (or more, to taste) and grind it all up! I don't like chunky salsa, so I grind for a long time until its pretty smooth.It makes a generous amount of salsa! I like to keep it in the fridge for about 3 days before using it. It seems to taste better after all the flavors have "married."

The Best Salsa You've Ever Tasted

1 large can of diced tomatoes

1 can of rotel or diced tomatoes with green chiles

1 can of diced tomatoes with roasted garlic and

Juice of two limes

Sliced pickled jalapenos (I use about 8)

Small onion

5-7 cloves of garlic

Kosher salt (to taste)

2 packets of Equal (or 2 tsp sugar)

Blend it all up in a food processor, and store in refrigerator. I like to wait a few days before serving it for a better flavor. It will last several weeks in the refrigerator.

No comments: