Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ghetto Fabulous

Every year at Christmas, I like to try a new recipe. This year I came across a recipe for "Poor Man's Toffee." I searched through several similar recipes and finally decided on one that was called "Ghetto Toffee." That just sounded fun! So here is my version that I tweaked a little.
Ghetto Toffee
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
Enough saltine crackers to make a layer on a cookie sheet (about 1 and 1/2 sleeves)
1 12-ounce bag of chocolate chips

Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with butter flavored cooking spray (this is a must). Bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil in a saucepan and simmer it for about 5 minutes.

Put a layer of crackers on the cookie sheet, close together.

Pour the brown sugar mixture over the crackers

and bake for about 10 minutes at 350F. Remove and immediately pour the chocolate chips over the crackers, evenly distributing them.

I let it sit for about 30 seconds, then with the back of a spatula I moved the chocolate chips just a little bit, slowly moving the chocolate around being careful not to move the crackers. I let it sit for another 30 seconds and at this point it pretty much spread like frosting.
Then I read that you could top with toffee bits or whatever you like (like dark chocolate with candy cane bits, white chocolate with dried cherries, rocky road, m&m’s), but to be honest, I can't imagine adding anything to this!
Then, just let it cool and break apart into pieces.

Oh, and one more thing: Try not to eat it all in one setting, or you will certainly have a Ghetto Booty!



Charlotte approves!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THE CANDY LOKS GOOD IAM GOING TO HAVE TO TRY IT.BUTCHARLOTTELOOKS WONDERFUL

Anonymous said...

the candy looks good . charlott is enjoying it.

Erin said...

Interesting! I've never seen it made with crackers before...I guess that's the ghetto part! I do love me some salty and sweet together.