Monday, August 30, 2010

"There's nothing my God cannot do!"

Friday afternoon, I got a phone call from Garrett's neurologist. He told me that I am not a carrier for Duchenne muscular dystrophy.

I had a difficult time keeping it together while he was on the phone, so I just held my breath until he hung up. I immediately dropped to the floor and cried. I had no words for God but "Thank You" that came between sobs. In the back of my mind, I kept playing the words to the kids' song "My God is so Big." How silly, I know.

I cannot tell you that I feel completely relieved: the Enemy will not let me. Instead, I feel a sense of guilt that I am thankful to have only 1 child who is desperately sick. I would almost rather have been a carrier so I could bear some of the burden on myself.

DMD is such a rare disease anyway, but me not being a carrier puts us in a more rare category still. Garrett's form of DMD is in a category of its own: around 5% of boys with the disease have his type of mutation and possibly no one has his exact mutation.

It was described to us this way: the DNA for Duchenne's is 2.5 million letters long...like a novel. Most boys are missing large chunks of the DNA, like chapters or long paragraphs. Garrett is missing 1 little letter in the middle of this long strand. 1 out of 2.5 million letters!

I love a God who deals in these odds!

"My God is so big,
So strong and so mighty,
There's nothing my God cannot do!"

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Amber, This fight is not over till God saids it over. We are praying for a miracle from God and I believe He is the Great Physician. Nothing is impossible for Him. Keep speaking out the miracle because God's word is true, find all the scripture on healing and pray them every day. Our God is the same yesterday, today and forever, He healed then and He still heals today !! Ernie and I love you so much and we are praying for sweet little Garrett and your family.
Love,
Connie

Erin said...

"The mountains are His,
The rivers are His,
The stars are his handiwork, too."

Like those stars, Garrett is His handiwork. Rejoicing in this good news for you!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news Amber! and for Charlotte too! I am praying for you and your family. Thanks for the update!

Jennifer Kennerk

Amanda Pilkinton said...

Praying for your family.

Unknown said...

That is awesome news, Amber!! Continuing in prayer for you all!

Lisa Prusakiewicz said...

Amber, I am so sorry to hear about your son. God will certainly look out for you and your family. I will be praying for you and your family for a miracle for your son. God bless.
Love,
Lisa (your old CI)