Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Oil...its not just for cooking anymore!

So, I had a little paint project going on today. It only required a tiny jar of white paint.

Randy picked out the paint at Lowe's and neglected to mention that it was an oil-based enamel.

I'm a water-based paint kinda girl.

So, I completed the project and went to rinse out my brush in my NEW sink WITH my hands, and guess what? It did not come off.

Not only did it not come off, my hands now look like I have some type of rare albino issue that makes my hands sticky like Spider-man's. Apparently sinks are also suceptible to the disease.

I called my wise, builder husband by using a paper towel to dial the numbers AND hold the phone. He tells me to put gasoline on them...yes, gasoline!

I immediately decided that this was not an option. I had visions of me igniting while cooking dinner, but mostly I didn't want to smell bad!

Instead I started thinking..."oil-based"..."oil"..."massage oil!"

And it did the trick...a handfull or two of massage oil that smells 'oh, so like the beach'! It was way better than gasoline!

That's my tip of the day: use massage oil to get off oil-based paint!

2 comments:

Alli said...

Nice :) Thanks for the tip--I'd much rather my hands smell like something fresh than gasoline. Although, you could have used the fear-of-burning-up to get out of cooking dinner... Oh, how I despise oil-based paint.

Robyn said...

I'll remember that since we will be repainting the trim in our house soon!